The AEROFLEX project will develop the knowledge, concepts and technology to improve the efficiency of long-range freight vehicles by 18-33% while drawing up recommendations for implementing the results within European regulations and in the transport & logistic industry.
The overall efficiency target is broken down as follows:
- 4-5% energy saving by separate platforms;
- 4-6% energy saving by using loading space more effectively;
- 5-12% energy efficiency improvement from the integration of more flexible, advanced powertrains;
- 5-10% reduction in energy consumption through improved truck aerodynamics;
- standardised interfaces and the resulting sharing of components leading to higher economies of scale;
- front end designs to ensure survivability in crashes up to 50 km/h for occupants and vulnerable road users.